Thinking of getting married? Many congratulations!

If you would like to get married at St Luke's or Christ Church do contact us as soon as possible. We will do all we can to ensure your wedding day is a very happy one and that your marriage begins on the firmest of foundations.  You will be invited to make your solemn promises to each other, not only in front of your family and friends but in the sight of God and with God's blessing.

We will help you to prepare carefully for your marriage, both with the logistics as well as emotionally and spiritually. You will be invited to a marriage preparation evening where, in an informal format over supper, we will discuss some of the dynamics of getting married. Each couple is also seen on a number of occasions prior to the wedding by the clergy person taking the service.

You can get married at either church by fulfilling one of the following legal requirements:

  • If one or both of you live in the parish
  • If one or both of you has been regular worshippers at church for at least six months and are on the church's electoral roll.
  • If one or both of you were baptised or confirmed in either church. 
  • If your parents or grandparents were married in either church.
  • That one of your parents, at any time after you were born, has lived in the parish for a period of at least six months or has regularly gone to normal church services in either church for a period of at least six months.
  • Please contact us for further information.

In all cases we are required to see evidence of the connection to the parish. The Your Church Wedding website has helpful detail on legal connections.

In most cases, your banns will be read as a preliminary to your wedding. This is done over the first three Sundays of the month prior to your wedding, usually at the Sung Eucharist service.

If one or both of you has been divorced then the clergy will want to discuss with you how the previous marriage went wrong and the needs and concerns of any children from a previous marriage or relationship.  If the clergy are happy to marry you then you can be married under the same qualifying conditions as above.  If one of you belongs to another faith, which is not Christian, then it may still be possible for you to get married but you must have the normal Christian service.

If you would like to know more about booking a wedding, please call the office to arrange a meeting with the clergy.

If you are a foreign national, having a Church of England wedding will involve some extra paperwork to make sure your marriage is recognised in the country you come from. In many cases, it is straightforward and we are here to help you through the process. It is usually necessary for such marriages to be arranged through a Licence Procedure. We can advise whether you need this and can help you with the application.


The Wedding Pack includes lots of information about organising your wedding including readings, fees, The Marriage Service and music suggestions. Wedding sample Order of Service

Wedding Blessing Pack and Wedding Blessing sample Order of Service